The STF Energy Efficient Housing Skill Cartridge® extracts topics around energy efficient housing and related fields from text. It is built on a subset of more than 400 concepts and over 600 synonyms from http://gbpn.org as of March 2013 and their taxonomic information.
Powered by Smart Taxonomy Facilitator (STF) technology, The STF Energy Efficient Housing Skill Cartridge® contains 400 concepts and 600 synonyms from the GBPN thesaurus on energy efficient housing. Information on taxonomic embedding as well as the GBPN URI for each concept is retained. Each resulting term receives a confidence score representing to what degree it appears as an appropriate topic or index term for the document.
The Skill Cartridge® is compiled for the English language.
The topics modelled in this Skill Cartridge® include but are not limited to:
- different forms of renewable energies
- technologies and regulations around using renewable energies in housing
So topics like the "Three Liter House", "Passive Design" or "Air Source Heat Pumps" are modelled as several hundreds of other terms.
STF technology adds two distinctive features to the thesaurus-based extraction :
- Fuzzy Term Matching that produces and recognizes variants of thesaurus terms, minimizing silence and increasing recall
- Relevance Scoring, that evaluates the contextual relevance of each recognized term, discarding the less relevant ones improving precision. Relevance Scoring exploits a range of heuristics, including statistics and part-of-speech tagging .
Customization and Extension
The Skill Cartridge® can be easily customized by tuning the STF parameters on the specific way of scoring results, on the required maximal amount of terms to return, their minimal confidence score, their minimal string distance to known thesaurus terms and many others.
Typical use cases for the STF EnergyEfficientHousing Skill Cartridge® include
- Automated indexing of documents on building technologies
- Creation of hierarchical facets for enhancing search and browsing
- Document recommendations based on indexed terms
- Design of topical collections or Topic Pages focusing on specific thematic hierarchies in building technologies